Thursday, October 2, 2014

7 different ways you can say I dont Know in English

 Ways to Say “I don’t know”


I’d like to focus on the different ways you can say “Idon’t know” in English.
In life we are at some stage going to have to use this expression, so as variety is the spice of life, using different ways to say “I don’t know” would make your conversation far more interesting and natural.
1. Dunno
This word is used informally and in spoken language, especially by teenagers who don’t want to answer their parents!
‘When do you have to submit this essay?’ ‘Dunno. I can’t remember.’

2. I have no idea/I haven’t a clue/I haven’t the faintest idea
These expressions are used when you have no information and you cannot guess the answer to a question
·         ‘What time does the film start?’ ‘I have no idea. Why don’t you call the cinema?’
·         ‘Would you by any chance know where St James’s Street is?’ ‘I haven’t a clue.Sorry.’
·         ‘Could somebody please explain how this happened?’ ‘I haven’t the faintest idea.



3. How should I know?/Don’t ask me/Search me
These expressions are used when you do not know something and you feel annoyed that someone is asking you about it.
·         ‘Who left this mess on the table?’ ‘How should I know? I’ve only just come home.’
·         ‘What time did she say she was catching her train? ’ ‘Don’t ask me. I’m always the last to know.’
·         ‘Why didn’t he ask you for the keys?’ ‘Search me. I’m not a mind reader.’

4. Who knows?/It’s anyone’s guess
These are used for saying that you don’t know something because it is impossible for anyone to know it:
·         ‘Will they ever find the missing aircraft?’ ‘Who knows? The search been going on for such a long time now.’
·         ‘How the situation will develop from here is anyone’s guess.’

5. Your guess is as good as mine
This is used for saying that you know as little about something as the person who asked you about it
·         ‘Do you think we will be able to book the restaurant for Friday?’ ‘Your guess is as good as mine.’

6. Not as far as I know
·         We use this to say that something may be true, but you do not have enough information to know whether it is or not
·         ‘Has Clive left the company? I haven’t seen him for ages.’ ‘Not as far as I know, but I haven’t seen him recently either.’
7. It beats me
This is a rather informal expression to say that you do not know or understand something. “It” is often left out.
·         ‘Why did he do such a stupid thing?’ ‘It beats me’




Be a fan with us on facebook: http://goo.gl/fK4kqf

To join in our club to speak english everyday, let inbox to me

http://goo.gl/fK4kqf


Bạn nào có nhu cầu tìm gia sư để luyện Anh Văn tại nhà cùng bạn thì liên hệ page nhé!, các admin sẽ "luyện" với bạn

No comments:

Post a Comment